Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The playground and the gym - all in a day's play!

Yesterday Maggie and I went to the wonderful playground behind the Edmondson Pike library and we had so much fun. Maggie went down the slide by herself for the first time. She went right to the top of the slide and stood there looking down for a minute. I stood right beside her on the ground and just as I put my hand up to help her she made a leaping start onto the slide. If I hadn't put my hand up when I did who knows how she would have landed! She loved it and immediately wanted to go again, so we did about fifteen more times. Every time she went down the slide she yelled "Wheeeee!"

Lately her favorite song is the Alphabet Song. She only knows "A" and "B" so she'll say "AB!AB!" which is my indication that it's time to sing. So I start singing and she sings "abababababab" as I sing all other 24 letters. I've been trying to teach her the other letters or at least "C", but I haven't had much luck so far. I've also been pointing out the letter "A" in all her books. So yesterday we pull into the YMCA to work out and Maggie says "A!" I thought, "Oh, she just wants to sing the song." I turn around to look at her and see she's pointing at the "A" in the YMCA sign. Then we get out of the car and and she says "A" again and points at the other YMCA sign. I couldn't believe it!

And one more story...tonight Grant had to work late (poor guy has been working his tail off!) so I put Maggie to bed by myself. Usually after we put her in her crib we high tail it out of there but I lingered a little longer than usual. As I was walking out a minute later I looked back at her crib and saw that she had scooted right next to the front side of the crib, turned on her back, stuck her foot out the slats, rested it upon the crib bumper, and was rocking it back and forth. So cute. I should linger more often!

I'll be posting some photos soon - sorry they're not going up with this post!

5 comments:

Benton said...

Great growing up stuff Court .... Bright girl - we all know that .. and good teachers at home ... I can see her doing all of it ....:))) Poppy!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE to hear Maggie say "Wheeee!" Not quite as much as I love to hear her say "Mimi" but it's pretty great!!! Love, Mimi

Anonymous said...

I don't know when I have enjoyed reading a blog more than I did yours and Maggie's. Your mom told me about it, so I just had to check it out.

To answer the burning question, "Is Courtney too cute?" -- there is no such thing as "too cute" when one is a member of the Austin/Jernigan/Douglas/Howard family -- it's just "who we are" --deal with it and move on! ;)

Thinking about you re: surgery; I told Martha I am available weekends to help out as needed. Just let me know what is needed when, once the date is set.

Love you to all,

Aunt Vee

Anonymous said...

Obviously, in my last post, I meant to say is MAGGIE too cute! (Not that you aren't too, Court Court.) ;)

Aunt Vee

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney, thought I'd better comment so that you DON'T even think of not blogging. I love it. Your writting is so descriptive and might I add clever, you make me smile!! Thank you for taking time to keep it going. Love,Carol