Saturday, February 27, 2010

Swiss Miss and My Wild Thing

I've had a lot of fun with Maggie's hair growing so long and we've loved doing braids, pigtails, "twisty buns" and every other hairdo you can think of. The other day I was tired of all our usual 'dos so I tried a new one. I think she looks like a little Swiss Miss here...but I love it!
I always knew I would love having a girl, having spent most of my life as one of three sisters, and I always looked forward to all the girlie stuff like ballet, tea parties, doll houses, dress-up, and I have to admit...it's just as much fun as I thought. In my opinion Maggie is the perfect combination of super girlie-girl but also spunky, athletic, and not afraid to get dirty (to a certain point).
When I thought about having a boy I felt intimidated and not too excited about attending millions of little league games or having to talk about GI Joe's or Star Wars a million times. I knew I would want to be involved with whatever my kids (boy or girl) would want to do but I didn't think I'd have that much interest in certain aspects of boy-dom. Well, I just have to say, I know Finn's not really old enough to be doing too many boy things but I could not be more in love with him and relish the fact that he's a boy. It's so much fun. One of the things that really made me excited about raising a boy was reading David Thomas' book "Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys". It's all about raising a boy who is confident and manly yet able to feel and express a wide range of emotions. There are bits of practical advice, insights that shocked me, and a million cool things that I look forward to doing with Finn (or letting Grant do with him). I think anyone who is raising a boy should read this book, even (especially?!) if they're already in middle school or high school. All right, there's my little plug...now go out there and get this book!

4 comments:

Benton said...

So glad to catch up on your blog Courtney ... You brought tears to my eye with .."Grandma, I'll see you in heaven!" Me too!

My pleasure to FOLLOW my favorte blogger!

Unknown said...

I love our little "swiss miss" and her hair!!! And who knew boys could be THIS fun!!!! Love David's book!

Lindsay S said...

love the hair! when/if jim and i ever have boys, we will be sure to read the book.

Amanda Conley said...

I'll have to get that book. As our boys have gotten older, they tend to really need their dad more. And I don't mind because I've never been into boy things either. I'm just happy hearing about stuff and letting them have boys nights out (or days.) But I would love to have a girl to bond with. I'm sure we would find lots of things to do that the boys didn't want to do. it would be fun.