When Maggie gets upset and cries she often will say, "Baby, baby, baby" while she's crying. Last night she woke up around 10:30pm and Grant went into her room to see what was wrong with her. She was saying, "Baby, baby, baby" so he thought she was wanting one of her babies. I just happened to be within earshot of their conversation and it made me smile at this big, manly guy talking about baby dolls with Maggie. Here's how it went:
Maggie: Baby, baby, baby!
Grant: Do you need Bitty Baby?
M: Baby, baby, baby!
G: Not Bitty Baby? Okay, do you need baby Krista?
M: Baby, baby, baby!
G: Okay, how about baby Charlotte?
M: Baby, baby, baby!
G: What about this pink baby?
She was so upset that he finally just put one of the babies in her bed but it was so cute to hear him listing off all of her babies.
I also want to post this quote that is from the book Sacred Parenting, by Gary Thomas. It's a book I'm reading in a Bible study I'm in. The quote is actually from some author named Elton Trueblood:
"[Family life] has no magic about it. The family can be the scene of wonderful affection and it can also be the scene of debasing friction. The family...is our fairest ideal, but it does not come without effort. Family solidarity takes hard work, much imagination, and constant self-criticism on the part of all the members of the sacred circle. A successful marriage is not one in which two people, beautifully matched, find each other and get along happily ever after because of this initial matching. It is, instead, a system by means of which persons who are sinful and contentious are so caught up by a dream bigger than themselves that they work throughout the years, in spite of repeated disappointment, to make the dream come true."
Please don't get stuck on the part about "repeated disappointment." I just think it's a beautiful way to describe the effort that marriage and parenting require. It encourages me to think that this work is to make a dream bigger than ourselves come true.
I hope this encourages you, too. If not, well, I'll try harder next time!
4 comments:
Thanks! I love that excerpt!
That's cute and funny! I'm glad we finally nailed down a date.
That is a great quote Courtney and I believe it is very true. You know we are learning that in our family these days plus in relationships ... Truth spoken to me in that quote - thanks for it!
Oh ... and Grant talking childish with Maggie? I can hear that and have seen it before ... part of being a great Dad!
I love the story of Grant in there with Maggie discussing babies...what a good daddy for a little girl he is!!! That blessed me to hear it. And further blessing came from your sharing of a quote from Elton Trueblood. He is a well known author and very respected in my opinion....what he said about family was so rich!
Post a Comment