Sunday, July 05, 2009

Kisses and cuteness

I know it looks like Finn doesn't want me to kiss him, but he really does. He was probably thinking about the time to come when he's 14 and doesn't want me to kiss him anymore. Thank God that's ages and ages away! I'm sure it'll seem like five minutes before that time is here, though. I have to say, as nervous as I was about having a boy, I am totally loving it. I'll admit he isn't doing too many boyish things lately (have you heard him squeal lately? so high-pitched), but I just love putting him in blue and thinking about the day when he'll eat a bug or roll around in the mud. Dear God, please let him marry a nice girl who won't take him away from me! (Sorry, Carol, to take Grant so far from you!)
But back to the kissing. I mean, give me a break. How can I help but kiss this guy?
Here's a photo of Finn with my dad, a man who raised three girls before FINALLY having a boy (19 years after the birth of his first girl!). He does great with little girls but luckily has two grandsons so far.
Wow. Finn looks really chunky in this photo. Love it!
On another note, does anyone know how to coach your child to have a natural smile instead of this fake, coat-hanger thing she's been doing lately? It looks like she's asking me to check if she has spinach in her teeth.
Have I mentioned lately how happy I am? I'm not saying it's easy, but I am just feeling so much gratitude and contentment with my life. I have a husband with whom I'm madly in love, two beautiful children to spend time with every day, the friendship and support of my extended family, and so many amazing friends. I'm just so lucky. I hope you feel that way, too.

2 comments:

Jill Robinson said...

The "cheesy" smile is hard to avoid, but I just talk to my kids and have them answer questions or say words that they think are silly (like underwear!). Then I snap and snap. I'll probably get one good one out of 20 but that's what's great about digital!

Courtney said...

Thanks, Jill. Sometimes we try telling her "Don't smile" but then she cracks up and moves around, making the photos blurry. We'll have to try the "underwear" trick.