It was Candyland-themed so I did my best re-creation of the game board for the cake:
Maggie and I had fun leading up to the party making giant candies and gingerbread men to decorate the house. I challenged myself to not make it a total sugar-fest so the goodie pails below had candy rings and candy necklaces, stickers that look like candy, gingerbread man cookie cutters, and play dough.
I made about five giant paintings of candy/sweets to hang up in the backyard. You can see the lollipop and gumdrop ones behind my sister-in-law, Kajsa, and Finn, below. I made one that was a swirly hard candy (like a peppermint) and we had the kids lick gummy lifesavers and try to stick them on the center of the candy, a la Pin-The-Tale-On-The-Donkey. Maggie could see through the blindfold but I wasn't sure about it until later. Oh well. We also had a peanut-shelling contest (because of Peanut Acres on the Candyland game board) and it was pretty funny to see all the little kids trying to shell the peanuts. Let's face it: no one was too fast.
Here's the birthday girl with my mom, making approximately 10 gallons of bacon & corn chowder.
We borrowed Maggie's Uncle Blake & Aunt Jenny's bean bag toss. They had their last initial painted on them, which, conveniently, is OUR last initial. You can also see my cotton candy painting (Grant said, "Why did you paint a blue cloud on a stick?"). I never claimed to be a great artist.
We just had a great time! We (and Maggie, especially) are so lucky to have such lovely friends. And as a side note, we have a new deck! It was just finished yesterday, but wouldn't it have been nice to have back in October for Maggie's birthday?! Well, there's always next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment