Here are all four grandkids at Mimi and Poppy's celebrating Christmas. From left is Jack, my sister Erin's son, Maggie, Lily Kate (Jack's sister) - in Maggie's lap, and Finn.
Here are the youngest cousins in their matching Christmas pajamas:
Today was a very big day for Finn. He pulled himself up to kneeling in his crib (I think he would have been standing if I had only waited two more minutes to come in his room) AND he turned our kitchen step stool into a walking toy.We had our official LAST last appointment with our favorite geneticist. Finn has gained over a pound since our appointment in December, so we were very happy with that. He continued to get a good report developmentally and IVA-wise. Now that he's starting to eat table food I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by what to feed him. I mean, I know I could steam a million veggies and cut up fruit for him (although he does have to be careful because even certain veggies and fruits are higher in protein - like sweet potatoes, peas, corn, bananas). What my ultimate goal is (realistic or not) is to adapt what I cook for the rest of the family for him. For instance, I make a veggie stir fry with cashews for myself, Maggie, and Grant, and just pick our the cashews for him. What I want to avoid is making two meals every night. Luckily his protein intolerance isn't like a peanut allergy so just eating something that we pick out the beans, nuts, etc. from won't be bad for him. So far I've come up with two meals that we can all eat together and I just told you about one of them. The other is spaghetti with quorn (a meat substitute) for us and without for him. Anyone have any suggestions? I honestly wish he could just not have meat - that would be so much easier. We're eating a vegetarian diet most of the time - I'd say I have one meal a week with meat in it - but he most likely won't be able to have nuts, beans, soy, etc.
As for Maggie, she came up with a good question for his medical team. On the way to his appointment she asked, "Will Finn always have to go see a special dr?" I said yes and then she said, "But will he always have to go to Children's Hospital? Even when he's a grown-up?" We decided that was a good question and I thought surely he wouldn't keep going there, but we made a point to ask during his appointment. It turns out he will! Dr. Summar said his oldest patient is 90 years old. Isn't that strange?!
2 comments:
Good news for Finn and Maggie is so smart to ask that question about Finn seeing a specialist.
Do you think there is a cookbook or website with recipes for special meals with low or no protein? If not, maybe you could put one together in all your spare time....jk, but wouldn't that be neat if you could be a part of a cookbook for others with the same diet needs to help others!!!
Just catching up. Finn is gorgeous and Maggie is still hilarious!
Post a Comment