Maggie is into all things fancy, and since everyone knows that anything French is extra fancy, we obviously had to have a French-themed birthday party for her this year. Here's her invitation, made by Grant:

And here's the tres jolie birthday girl:

So for this fancy, fancy party (not really) we reserved a park shelter at Sevier Park on a beautiful day the first weekend in October. I was technically on bed rest during the party which was a bummer because I had to ask for lots of help (which my family graciously gave) and I didn't get to run around as much as I would have liked. It was a lot of fun despite my limitations! We borrowed a 3 ft Eiffel Tower and a life-sized standard poodle from my friend Tiffany (lucky for me she just happened to have both items) and used them for table decorations with balloons tied to them. You can see the tower in the following photo of the kids eating their cupcakes. That's me in the back right corner. For some reason most of Maggie's girl friends couldn't make it but there were lots of fun boys (who maybe weren't the best ones to enjoy a girly French-themed party!)

We played pin the tail on the poodle.

For prizes the girls got pink scarves for their necks and the boys got stick-on mustaches. They were so cute with those mustaches and they mostly humored me with leaving them on for a photo!

We also had lots of time to just run around and play on the playground, which Finn loved.

Maggie's cousin Jack had fun playing, too.

And Maggie got lots of cuddles and hugs from two of her uncles:

After the "friends" party we went back to our house for a family birthday dinner. Maggie loves to play with Grant's musical instruments and we thought she'd love to have one of her own so we bought a ukelele for her. It's perfect for her because of its size and Grant can teach her how to play it. They've had a few lessons already which she loves because it's one-on-one time with Grant. It's a really sweet little ukelele - not a toy, but a real instrument! This is just the first step of the Howard Family Band that I've always dreamed of.

It's hard to believe she's five. She still keeps me laughing all the time, sometimes drives me absolutely batty, and always makes me count my blessings, of which she is a huge part. Did I tell you that during Carolina's birth she called herself my doula and rubbed my back and gave me sips of water through a straw? And here's one final little funny: the other day she asked me, "Mom, are mermaids for real?" I said, "Nope" and she immediately responded, "Ohhhhhhhh mannnnnnn!" I was sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but I don't want to shield her from life's harsh realities :)
1 comment:
I so wish Jim and I could have been there. It looks like you had so much fun! I can't wait to hear Maggie play the ukelele. love you!
Post a Comment