Here's the cute part:
This morning she's sitting on her chair with her baby on her knee, bouncing her up and down and singing "This is the way the lady rides..." Do you know that song? It's really cute to hear her singing it.
Also cute is the fact that in the morning, after she eats her cereal, she walks over to the sink and kind of pushes her bowl and spoon into it.
And here's the infuriating part:
She has figured out that asking to go potty is a good way to delay bed or nap time. It's so effective because if she asks to go potty we always take her seriously because we're trying to potty train her and we don't want to send mixed messages. So last night at bedtime she sat on her potty for about 15 minutes while I brushed her teeth and read her bedtime books and finally produced something. Then I did all the rest of her bedtime stuff and put her in bed. Just as I was ready to walk out she said, "I need to go potty again." I was so frustrated by this point (it had been a long night) that I called to Grant and asked him to take over. He came in and put her on the potty and she sat there for about 5 minutes without doing anything. Eventually he said, "Okay, you're not going to go, it's okay, but let's go to bed now." Well, you'd think he told her that we were going to throw all her baby dolls on a bonfire. She screamed and cried and generally freaked out. She basically ended up crying for about 45 minutes before she finally gave up and went to sleep.
Another piece to the story is that she had been having night terrors and what I've read about preventing night terrors is to have a peaceful bedtime. So I feel held hostage by the idea of a peaceful bedtime, almost like I have to let her have her way so she won't get upset. (Night terrors are basically episodes of screaming/crying where she DOES NOT wake up and she doesn't remember them in the morning. If you try to comfort a child having a night terror it actually prolongs them. It's horrible to hear your child screaming and not be able to go comfort her. Night terrors are related to sleepwalking and sleep talking and are very different from nightmares.)
So...anyone have any advice or encouragement!? Sorry for the longish post about this.
2 comments:
O.k. first, I love your blog makeover!!! Totally cool.
Second, I do not have any advice for you.
My brother had night terrors. they are awful!
I have had to potty train two boys already and so far it's been infuriating/frustrating every time.
So,... sorry. I really am.
Oh wait- I do have something positive, at least: She WILL grow out of both of those things! Yay! (But then something else will crop up...bummer.)
Obviously, I can't give you any potty training advice (duh) but this is the first thought I had: what about putting her diaper/pull-up back on her and telling her, "you've had enough time on the potty, you have a diaper on now" and let her smartness figure it out. My thought is: if she knows it's serious at bedtime, and if she doesn't have to go, she can't possibly "make" herself go while shes in bed, right? She's so smart and I'm sure she's using it to her advantage (which i've figured out happens at an early age!) Good luck, hope it gets better! We had fun the other night!
Post a Comment